barnes_surveying006007.jpg barnes_surveying006005.jpg barnes_surveying006003.jpg barnes_surveying006001.jpg
Flood elevation certificates
     A mortgage company will require that a property owner have flood insurance on any parcel that has an insureable structure on the property that lies within a designated flood zone as shown on the FEMA flood zone maps.
     A flood elevation certificate is a document filled out by a licensed surveyor stateing that the elevation of the insureable property is above the 100 year flood zone level, meaning that the structure is unlikely to be damaged by flooding waters.
     Once the mortgage company recieves the flood elevation certificate from the homeowner showing that the insureable property is above the 100 year flood elevation, then the mortgage company will drop the requirement that the homeowner must provide flood insurance on the property.
     This only means that the homeowner isn't required by the mortgage company to have flood insurance anymore.  The homeowner may still provide flood insurance on their property if they so choose to.